Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Feng Shui and eating locally produced food


In one hour we are off to kinder garden in our new wagon and it is snowing. And I was so enthusiastic last week and put away all the winter clothes so I got to go dig it up again from the attic. For the moment I should be chopping wood, painting bedroom and ordering organic seeds from Runabergs Froer but instead I got into this Feng Shui cleaning frenzy. I majorly cleaned the house a month ago when our phone disappeared. The house became beautiful but the phone stayed away –ended up buying phone from second hand store (the family hates it because it has a cord and they cannot talk privately anymore for hours locked in the bathroom). But this time I am not just cleaning – I am throwing away. Everything you do not use every day toss it away, or give it away or take it to your local secondhand store. It was easy in the beginning but the further you go along you start thinking –OK I never use it but it is pretty, or it was a lovely present or kids go through garbage bag and loudly protest. So I think the trick is to do a little everyday because in the mornings I am so motivated. We have been Feng Shuing for about 10 years now but lately forgotten a bit about all the advantages. I figured that the fewer things I have lying around the less I have to clean. Today I am going through my cookbooks, which is going to be a tough one because I am sure I only use about 5 off the 55 I have on the kitchen shelf and I want all 55 of them. Love a good challenge though!

Something else occupying my mind a lot is local shopping. When we lived in Greece we would buy fruits and veggies from the local organic market and therefore I could talk with the farmer who grew the produce, I could see and touch unpacked veggies, smell it and even taste it. I love this market culture and I have learned a lot, going shopping with my mother in law how good food looks, smells, tastes. In Sweden we do not care as much in what we eat, how we eat it and how far it has travelled. Although there is a good discussion going on around it.

It is nice to know who grew your food and to be able to see it for yourself. It is nice to know your money is going locally to support good food producing. It is important that your food did not take a detour to China to be packed; this is just a killer for the environment. There is lots of good reading about this on the blog Elins Trädgårs , and even if you cannot change your whole eating around you can always do your best. The winner in the end is you. You get the finest food, good and personal relationships with food producers and you get a healthy earth to live on.

A huge worry of mine is what is going to happen now when the Chinese people are able to buy cars. That is a huge dilemma I think. Why should they be the once scarifying the comfort of a car for saving the world, when the western world have been doing their best to destroy it for ages with our cars, abroad vacations on airplanes, moving whatever around on trucks to get cheaper food, clothes and so on. This is a huge one, what do you think about it.

Love and Peace

No comments: